John Porcellino Post-CAKE Week-Long Workshop in Chicago, June 2-6, 2014
We’re honored to team up with The Chicago Publishing Resource Center to host John Porcellino for his terrific week-long workshop, “Making Comics Out of Life.”
This workshop will be Monday June 2- Friday June 6, 2014 at the ChiPRC, 858 N. Ashland Avenue.
Directions and info about the space in Chicago: http://chiprc.org/about/
John has run his workshop twice at SAW in Florida and is now bringing his warm, intelligent workshop to Chicago, immediately after CAKE.
Classes will run roughly 6 hours a day for each day. The first three days will focus on individual exercises, where the final two will be spent tying the exercises together and publishing an end-of-workshop zine.
Don’t miss this chance to learn from one of the greatest cartoonists in the country.
April 15 Deadline Announced for next Micro-Grant Round
The SAW Micro-Grant was the first of its kind and we’re proud to open Popeye and Castor’s teller window one more time for an April 15, 2014 deadline, announcing winners on May 15.
SAW continues its commitment to offering small grants of $250 to practicing artists. Two small $250 grants will be awarded on or around May 15, 2014.
You do not have to write like us or draw like us or layout pages like us or take our classes.
Eligible artists must be developing and dedicated to a current project that fits within the mission of The Sequential Artists Workshop (basically anything that is high-quality comics, a graphic novel, comics journalism, etc.)
- I live not in the United States- can I apply?
- I make a million dollars a year on comics already and have a candy bar named after my characters. Should I apply?
- You can, but we’ll take apparent need into account when we review.
- I did a Kickstarter for my book and just want to $250 more. Can I apply?
- You can, but we’ll take this into account too.
- I have a book coming out soon from a publisher, for which this grant will help me fly to SPX, etc. to promote it. Should I apply?
- Sure. We understand the economics of being a small artist working with a small publisher, and mostly are here to support strong work.
Deadline: Applications must be delivered to the SAW PO Box by Aug 31, 2013 for the September 30, 2013 grant. Applications received after that will be eligible for the April 2014 grant.
Please be aware that due to our limited resources, short-listed or honorable mention projects from the August 2013 round are are not eligible to apply in the April 2014 round.
To read about the previous winners and honorable mentions, click here.